WEB UPDATE: University, group try to make move-out more green

University administrators and student organizations have teamed up to organize Green Move-Out, a month-long series of events aimed at making the move-out process less wasteful and more efficient.

Student groups and initiatives centered on environmental awareness formed quickly in this year because increased national discussion about the hazardous effects of global warming.

“The idea is that through recycling reusable items and donating other items to the needy that the move-out process would be smoother for students and the hard-working individuals who clean and get the rooms ready after move-out,” said Seth Weinshel, director of assignments for GW Housing Programs.

While this is the second year of Green Move-Out, it is the first time GW administrators, through the Residential Life Services Cluster, are collaborating with students to plan the events. Weinshel said administrators plan on playing an even larger role next year to ensure the continuation of this initiative.

The student organizations involved include the Residence Hall Association, GW Roosevelt Institution, Environment GW, MVC Programming Council, Green Project, Green GW and the GW Office of Community Service.

Junior Jeff Gustafson, the president of Environment GW, wrote in an e-mail that the alliance of these groups would “expand the project in order to reach more students and have a greater impact across the University and community.”

Events in April included a campus clean-up event and GW’s first ever, flea market, which took place on Earth Day. A green carnival will take place May 5 and 6 at the Mount Vernon campus and on University Yard on May 12. Students will be able to recycle books and school supplies, donate food and properly dispose of electronic and hazardous waste. The Salvation Army will also sponsor a clothing drive that will begin May 1.

“We believe that the Green Move-Out is a great way to raise awareness about environmental issues and encourage students to clean their rooms before they leave for the summer,” said sophomore Anne Digiulio, the community service coordinator for the RHA

In the spring of 2006, the Center for the Environment at the Roosevelt Institution started Green Move-Out as a way to reduce some of the waste produced by the students leaving at the end of the year.

“Our idea was to create an end of the year move-out that could be efficient and environmentally friendly at the same time,” said sophomore Sarah Zubair, leader of the Center for the Environment at the Roosevelt Institution last year.

Zubair said, “I think the precedent we’re setting will be an amazing opportunity for both students and the University to move towards a greener and friendlier move-out process.”