WEB UPDATE: Trachtenberg to receive honorary degree from Columbia

Updated Friday, May 4. Columbia University announced University President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg would receive an honorary Doctor of Laws degree at the school’s May 16 commencement ceremony.

Trachtenberg will not speak at the ceremony, his office said in an e-mail to The Hatchet.

In 1959, Trachtenberg earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from Columbia, an Ivy League school in New York. Others receiving honorary degrees from Columbia this year include, among others, Aharon Barak, a former president of the Supreme Court of Israel; Ben Carson, a neurosurgeon; Suzanne Malveaux, a White House correspondent for CNN; Jonathan Spence, a historian who specializes in Chinese history; and Felix Rohatyn, an investment banker.

Trachtenberg has received numerous honorary degrees during his tenure in higher education. He holds honorary Doctor of Laws degrees from University of New Haven (Conn.), Southern Connecticut State University, Boston University and Mount Vernon College.

He holds honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degrees from Gratz College (Penn.) and Trinity College (Conn.) and an Honorary Doctor of Humanities from University of Hartford.

Trachtenberg also holds honorary degrees from colleges and universities abroad including an honorary Doctor of Medicine from the Odessa State Medical University in Ukraine, an honorary Doctor of Public Administration degree from South Korea’s Kyonggi University and an Honorary Doctor of Laws degree from Richmond College in London.