Gelman Starbucks to continue 24-hour service

The Starbucks adjacent to Gelman Library will be open 24 hours five days a week following a successful three-month trial period that began in January, a store manager said.

“We’ve made a commitment to the community and the students,” said Roni Cruz, store manager of the Gelman Starbucks. “Unless we have zero business and circumstances fall out of our hands, we will be open.”

The shop closes at 10 p.m. on Friday and Saturday nights. It is the first Starbucks in the District to remain open 24 hours.

Starbucks managers said they considered customer demand and the staffing logistics to figure out the feasibility of staying open 24 hours a day.

Robert Howell, Starbucks district manager for Washington, said though the hours are not set in stone, they will continue for now.

“The hours are always subject to review based on customer demand and sales,” he said. “They could always change, but so far the current hours have worked out well.”

Students said they were happy about the expanded hours, as few food and drink venues in the area are open so late.

“This campus lives on Starbucks, and we need it after 10 p.m.,” freshman Gillian White said.

Cruz also said the library is considering remodeling parts of its first floor and constructing an outdoor patio area connected to Starbucks.

“The library is interested in expanding,” Cruz said, “And we would love to help out, but it is mostly a library-driven initiative.”