Thumbs Up Thumbs Down

Restored programs

Due in large part to the efforts of Student Association leadership, the University has shown efforts to restore newspapers in residence halls and reinstitute the Colonials Invasion pep rally. This move will please countless students and help improve perceptions of GW.

Athletic fundraising

The Athletic Department’s latest fundraising idea will no doubt raise money from donors looking to take part in decision-making for GW’s sports program on a special council. Unfortunately, this group leaves donors with no real power and only goes after their wallets.

Marvin space

While GW officials may not have selected the hottest choice for the empty space in the basement of the Marvin Center, administrative offices will be a stable presence in the building. Perhaps this will help partially stave off annual renovations in the future.

Tragedy fallout

The Virginia Tech shooting is having a traumatic effect on the victims’ friends and families and countless students across the country. Fortunately, this event has sparked a debate on campus security, motivating GW to inform students about counseling options and safety resources.

Successful search

In a process that took less than a year, Columbian College of Arts and Sciences officials selected a well-qualified professional to lead that school. This stands in contrast to the drawn-out searches that other schools and departments have suffered with.

Spring letdown

While poor weather certainly played a factor, the most recent Spring Fling was a poorly attended flop with a performer that did not generate a large buzz on campus. Hopefully Program Board will focus on revamping this event and Fall Fest in the future.

Costly comic

GW announced that big-name entertainer Billy Crystal will perform at Colonials Weekend next fall. Although Crystal is a great choice, ticket prices in excess of $75 will be unaffordable for many parents, students and alumni.

New Hatchet award

Although Features Editor Katie Rooney hates it when we “thumb up” ourselves, being named best non-daily college newspaper in the region by the Society of Professional Journalists is a great honor. Keep up the good work, everyone.