Student Association presidents speak out: We support President Trachtenberg

When it was initially announced that University President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg would be this year’s keynote speaker at Commencement in May, we were enthusiastic about how appropriate his selection was. Thus, we were disappointed in the subsequent decision to reverse course on that selection.

The undersigned have had the honor and opportunity to serve as Student Association president throughout the entire time that President Trachtenberg has been at the helm in Rice Hall. Based upon our own personal observations and experiences with him, we are united in the opinion that the University community would have benefited from hearing his perspective and wisdom during a keynote speech.

This man has had an incredible history with our University. He started his work at GW as its president nearly two decades ago and has distinguished himself and GW in the world of higher education, both here and abroad. His contributions to the physical infrastructure of the University are readily apparent to anyone who steps on campus. And the fact that GW has so many campuses now is also a result of his leadership.

But his contributions go so much further than that – he has improved the quality of an already superb academic faculty. He has developed traditions from scratch, all with the idea of building up a lifelong relationship to the GW community by keeping its students connected to their alma mater when they become alumni. We have a diverse undergraduate student body that boasts academic excellence. Our graduate and professional programs have grown to rank among the best in the world in many disciplines. In short, we have become a world-class institution in the heart of Washington. Because of his hard work throughout his presidency that made these accomplishments happen, the GW of the 21st century is an entirely new University.

For all that, we must thank President Trachtenberg.

From our first-hand experience, we can also attest to the fact that he has been a tireless advocate on behalf of the entire University community and, in so doing, has become a powerful example to us. How often do you think someone has the opportunity today to work in one job for so long and have such an impact on so many people? How often does someone have an opportunity where, through his work, he develops ideas, acts on those ideas, spends years making those ideas into reality and is able to experience the lasting effect of those ideas? How often does someone in such a position maintain such a high level of energy and enthusiasm for his job for so long: 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year, for 19 years?

Ultimately, he has dedicated his life to guiding students to attain the education they will need to fulfill their lives. And in the end, that’s what Commencement is all about – launching the members of the graduating class toward fulfillment. It is a day for the graduates and their friends and family to celebrate their personal accomplishments and to look to the future. On this occasion, we welcome the new graduates with open arms into the family of GW alumni.

Congratulations to all the graduates of the class of 2007 and to President Trachtenberg on the end of his remarkable tenure.

-The writers are former presidents of the Student Association: Raffi Terzian, 1988-1989; John David Morris, 1989-1990; Frank Petramale, 1990-1991; Kyle Farmbry, 1991-1992; Michael Musante, 1992; Jonathan Tarnow, 1992-1993; Scott Adams, 1993-1994; Al Park, 1994-1995; Mark Reynolds, 1995-1996; Damian McKenna, 1996-1997; Kuyomars “Q” Golparvar, 1997-1998; Carrie Potter, 1998-1999; Phil Meisner, 1999; Katherine Leu Baxter, 1999-2000; David Burt, 2000-2001; Roger Kapoor, 2001-2002; Phil Robinson, 2002-2003; Kris Hart, 2003-2004; Omar Woodard, 2004-2005; Audai Shakour, 2005-2006; Lamar Thorpe, 2006-2007.