Group raises money through tie-dye event

The Alpha Epsilon Phi sorority raised more than $500 Saturday in a tie-dye event for the Chaim Sheba Medical Center in Israel and the Elizabeth Glazer Pediatric AIDS Foundation.

“We got really great feedback from the participants,” said Alpha Epsilon Phi President Becky Katz, a junior. “We hope to do this again next year.” About 100 people attended the event

Though the sorority has donated to the Elizabeth Glazer Pediatric AIDS Foundation in the past – notably through an annual Valentine’s Day candy sale – the members had not yet raised funds for Chaim Sheba, Katz said. The sorority hopes to make Alpha Epsilon Phi tie dye an annual fundraiser.

The Elizabeth Glazer Pediatric AIDS Foundation, started in 1988, aims to prevent pediatric HIV and researches treatment for pediatric AIDS. Additionally, the foundation supports advocacy and prevention programs.

The foundation started after Glazer – who had contracted AIDS through a blood transfusion in 1981 – realized that most AIDS treatments were not for children. Glazer’s daughter and son both became infected with the virus from their mother.

Founded in 1948, the Chaim Sheba Medical Center was the first in the region to provide care for patients regardless of ethnic backgrounds. Today, it conducts 25 percent of Israel’s medical research.

Katz said people who walked through Kogan or saw flyers posted around campus came to support Alpha Epsilon Phi’s cause.

“It is really important to Alpha Epsilon Phi to do more activities that involve the GW community as a whole,” Katz said.