$5 – $10 – $20: An entertainment guide for the cash-strapped college student

If you have $5

As is so often the case, you can pocket the cash and go do something free, in this case attend a birthday party, specifically one for William Shakespeare, being held from noon to 4 p.m. Sunday at Folger Shakespeare Library at 201 East Capitol St., S.E. If you want to be snarky, point out that this is a late birthday party, as the Bard is generally believed to have been born on the April 23.

If you have $10

Borrow $5 and go to 9:30 Club Thursday at 7:30 p.m. to see The Frames. Touring behind their sixth studio record, “The Cost,” the band has recently gained attention via singer Glen Hansard’s turn in this year’s film “Once.” The tunes are pretty, but you’ll also get the sheer joy of listening to the band members talk. Let’s face it, certain accents do certain things – just as everything sounds smarter in a British accent, sexier in a French accent, and cooler in a Scottish accent, everything sounds more charming in an Irish accent.

If you have $20

Please your inner fifth-grader and go to Jammin’ Java at 227 Maple Ave. East in Vienna, Va., Wednesday to catch an acoustic set by Cracker. You remember Cracker, right? Sure you do. Come on, they sang “Low,” which is a really sweet song. It was totally on your mixtape, probably between Spacehog and Superdeluxe, right before that killer Smashing Pumpkins/Oasis/Bush suite.