WEB UPDATE: Cheney at GW again for further treatment of clot

Posted Tuesday, April 24, 11:25 a.m.

The vice president returned to the GW Medical Center early Tuesday morning for a check-up of a blood clot in his lower left leg.

Dick Cheney went to his physicians at the Medical Faculty Associates for an ultrasound of the clot which he has had since early March. The vice president visited the outpatient facility at 22nd and I streets March 5 because of “a deep venous thrombosis,” which may have been brought on by extended air travel during a trip back from Pakistan and Afghanistan.

“The ultrasound was reassuring and showed that the clot is gradually resolving,” spokeswoman Megan McGinn said in a statement. “His blood thinning medication was found to be in the desired range. The vice president’s doctors advised him to continue the current course of treatment.”

McGinn added that Cheney resumed his normal schedule at the White House after leaving Foggy Bottom.

Cheney, 66, who has had four heart attacks since his late-30s and has a pacemaker, is a regular visitor at GW Hospital and the MFA for his cardiological ailments. The vice president went to the hospital in January 2006, when he suffered shortness of breath believed to be associated with medicine he took for a foot problem.

In 2006 Cheney and his wife Lynne donated $2.7 million to the School of Medicine and Health Sciences for the creation of a cardiovascular institute in their names.