Students gather to discuss business school

About 15 students assembled at the Marvin Center Tuesday night to give input about the search process for a new associate dean of undergraduate programs for the Business School.

At the meeting, hosted by Student Association Senator Nathan Brill (SoB-U) and Senator-elect Matt Cohen (SoB-U), students helped compile a list of suggestions for the search committee.

“We initially wanted a student on the search committee, but that wasn’t possible with the internal selection process,” said Brill, who decided to hold the town hall meeting as an alternative.

Many students, including members of the Finance and Investment Club, the Consulting Club and the International Affairs Society, voiced the need for a dean who is willing to be more connected with students by holding office hours like University President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg or having monthly meetings with students.

Town hall participants suggested names of professors and faculty members for the post. The search committee would not disclose faculty members under consideration.

Students also discussed school-wide issues with the hope that the new dean will support their suggestions. The need for longer hours in Duqu?s Hall, greater access to group study areas, and improvements to the career center and advising program were top student concerns.

Sophomore Irene Lehne said she hopes Duqu?s Hall hours will be extended.

“I’m interested in helping (Brill and Cohen) voice the true opinions of the students,” she said.

Tuesday night was also the final meeting of this year’s SA Senate. In addition to passing the bill for a student fee increase referendum, the senate passed a bill replacing the 10-person SA dining services commission with a single director.

The SA also passed a bill creating the “social responsibly initiatives grant commission” to oversee the $25,000 given to the SA by the administration for socially conscious initiatives and a resolution to show support for the victims of the Virginia Tech tragedy.

The senate-elect will meet April 25 and will then be sworn into office April 30 at the Transition Dinner.