Sigma Chi hosts first annual Derby Days fundraiser

This week the Sigma Chi fraternity had its first annual Derby Days, a 1990s-themed fundraiser, to support the Children’s Miracle Network.

The organization became the campus’ 14th male Greek-letter organization last year after a six-year hiatus from GW. Nationwide, Derby Days raises more than $600,000 for CMN, said Sigma Chi Public Relations Chair Mike Belleville, a freshman, in a news release.

“Sigma Chi has been absent from the George Washington community for the past few years,” Sigma Chi philanthropy chair and sophomore Dave Boyajian said. “The brothers are really excited about organizing our first Derby Days.”

CMN is a national group of children’s hospitals that treat patients with cancer, sickle cell anemia, pediatric AIDS and other diseases and has been the fraternity’s philanthropy since 1992. Sigma Chi plans to donate its proceeds from T-shirt, ticket and jewelry sales to a local CMN hospital on Michigan Avenue N.W., according to a news release.

On Monday and Tuesday evenings, the chapter hosted a skit night, costume contest and a trivia contest that sororities modeled after the 1990s Nickelodeon show, “Legends of the Hidden Temple.”

The fraternity also hosted a service auction in Funger Hall Wednesday night. Services such as cooking a three-course dinner, cleaning a dorm room, or carrying someone’s books for a day were auctioned off to members from six participating sororities.

“We (worked) to create a fun and entertaining philanthropy event that after a few years will become as big and as important as it is elsewhere in the country,” Bellville said.