Former CCAS dean arrested twice in two days

A former University dean was arrested twice last week for allegedly driving under the influence of alcohol and is on paid leave from his position as president of the University of Mary Washington, according to police and news reports.

William Frawley, who led the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences from 2002 to 2006, was arrested at his Virginia home Wednesday afternoon after police pursued him with their lights on for 10 blocks, the police report stated. Officers noted he was driving recklessly without a front right tire and charged him with DUI and refusal to submit to a blood or breath test.

The incident took place less than a mile away from UMW, a liberal arts college with 4,000 undergraduates in Fredericksburg, Va.

A subsequent investigation by the Free-Lance Star newspaper revealed that Frawley had been previously arrested for DUI Tuesday afternoon when he overturned his car driving to his son’s school. The story states he was hospitalized, but released early Wednesday morning from Inova Fairfax Hospital’s intensive care unit against his doctor’s advice.

Frawley’s wife, Maria Frawley, is an associate English professor at GW. She did not return a phone call from The Hatchet as of Sunday night.

“This kind of behavior would be completely out of the character of the Bill Frawley I knew,” said William Griffith, chair of GW’s philosophy department. “As I knew Bill Frawley, he was a teetotaler.” A teetotaler is someone who completely abstains from alcohol.

On Wednesday afternoon, the UMW Board of Visitors announced they had placed Frawley on paid leave. After he recovers from a head injury at UMW Hospital, he will attend an arraignment for the DUI charges.