Fraternity raises money for sexual assault victims

In conjunction with Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention month, the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity raised more than $2,000 for the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network last week.

“Phi Psi is very proud of the difference that we have made when it comes to sexual assault,” said the fraternity’s philanthropy chair, freshman Connor Walsh.

RAINN, the largest anti-sexual assault organization in the nation, operates a telephone and online hotline for victims and works to educate individuals about sexual assault.

According to the RAINN Web site, someone is sexually assaulted in America about every two-and-a-half minutes. One in six American women and one in 33 men are victims of sexual assault. Additionally, 44 percent of rape victims are under age 18, and 80 percent are under the age of 30.

“The theme of the week was the role of men in preventing sexual assault,” Walsh said. “I believe it is appropriate that a fraternity, a group of brothers, be the ones responsible for helping to promote awareness of this nature.”

The RAINN events began last Thursday with a panel discussion in Funger Hall. Among the panelists were visiting assistant professor of psychology Stephen Forssell, Pat McGann of Men Can Stop Rape and Tyrone Hanley of GenderYOUTH.

Amanda Sandberg, a junior at Georgetown University, also served on the panel and told her personal story of being kidnapped and sexually assaulted, Walsh said.

The chapter fundraised for RAINN by charging entry fees for a powder-puff football game for GW’s sororities and admission to a party at Karma Bar and Lounge.