University announces recipients of alumni award

President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg and the GW Alumni Association announced last week the winners of the 46th annual Distinguished Alumni Service Award.

“It is a source of great pride to honor six individuals who have been excellent stewards of the growth and vitality of GW during my presidency,” said Trachtenberg in a news release. Trachtenberg will be stepping down after his 19-year term as president this summer.

The six winners include Philip Amsterdam, a 1962 graduate, who is president and CEO of the Marsellis-Warner Corporation and serves on the GW Board of Trustees. He is also the co-chair of the Stephen Joel Trachtenberg Legacy Campaign.

Nelson Carbonell Jr., a 1985 graduate, is the president, CEO and founder of Snowbird Capital, a University Trustee and vice chair of the Presidential Search Committee. He will begin a term as vice chairman of the GW Board of Trustees July 1.

Randolph Graves Jr., who graduated in 1978, is the founder of Graves Technology, Inc., where he serves as an executive consultant. He actively participates in the School of Engineering and Applied Science to this day.

Helen Manning, a 1952 graduate and retired teacher, has given more than 25 years of service to the Columbian Women Organization at GW.

Alan Nadel, who received two degrees from GW in the 70s, is a partner at Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer, and Feld, L.L.P. in Philadelphia, has participated in the Alumni Admissions Program since it began. Nadel, who served as the chair of the Philadelphia Regional Alumni Chapter, is also an avid supporter of GW athletics.

Robert J. Pelosky, a 1983 graduate, was an active member in the inception of the Elliott School International Council and was its chair from 2000 to 2004. He also served on the Elliott Schools’ dean search committee.

A ceremony in recognition of these six recipients will take place April 12.