SJT to do campus tour in GW trolley

Outgoing University President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg will visit four residence halls April 17 as part of an event administrators are calling the Trachtenberg House Party.

A farewell tour for Trachtenberg, the event recognizes his contributions to residence hall life and the GW community.

“The idea grew out of the annual Late Night with the President program when freshmen got the chance to show their school spirit and interact with the president,” Director of GW Housing Programs and House Life James Kohl wrote in an e-mail. “Since this is President Trachtenberg’s last year, we wanted to do something special to celebrate his tenure and incredible contributions to the residential experience.”

Trachtenberg will take the GW Trolley to Thurston, New Hall and Ivory Tower, before making a final stop on the Mount Vernon quad. A host committee of students selected by the residence hall will greet him at each stop. After the presentation of a plaque commemorating Trachtenberg’s contributions, both the president and students will have a chance to give speeches and interact with each other, wrote Kohl. Also slated to appear are former SA presidents Roger Kapoor and Jonathan Tarnow.

Each of the four stops will have a different theme, with food and entertainment available to all attendees. Visitors can participate in activities like T-shirt giveaways and Dance-Dance Revolution, and obtain SJT fan masks and SJT souvenir cameras.

Although the University has not officially announced the details of the event, Kohl wrote that they are trying to ensure that the event receives as much attention as possible from the community.

“Since this is such a large and active University, I am sure there are other activities that will coincide with the tour, but we tried to be as communicative as possible about this event with other programming entities in order to reduce overlap,” he wrote.