Thumbs Up Thumbs Down

Campus Plan

Following months of deliberation, D.C. Board of Zoning’s acceptance of the 20-year Campus Plan is a major step toward centralizing GW. Foggy Bottom residents should realize that this is a positive proposal for all members of the community.

SA platforms

Student Association President-elect Nicole Capp and Vice-President-elect Brand Kroeger have proposed ambitious agendas for next year. Unfortunately, many of these objectives are out of the SA’s scope and will lead away from a focus on student advocacy.

Lady Colonials

The GW women’s basketball team’s advancement to the NCAA tournament’s Sweet 16 round is a big achievement for the club and a boon to GW’s reputation.

Men’s basketball

While the Colonial men’s team made it to the NCAA basketball tournament, a lackluster showing disappointed many fans. As a trip to the coveted competition becomes an expectation at GW in future years, the team must focus on becoming contenders once in the tournament.

Wireless coverage

Increased availability of GW’s wireless network is something that students requested for years. University administrators should continue to expand this service while recognizing that residence hall study areas are no replacement for creating more centralized study spaces on campus.

Budget crunch

A tighter budget forced GW to deny funding to a number of Columbian College of Arts and Sciences departments. Such monetary constraints further engender negative perceptions of a school that is also continually raising its astronomical tuition.

Carter visit

President Jimmy Carter’s talk at GW was largely successful, as the former leader accepted unrehearsed questions on his controversial book for the first time. This true debate should be noted by those who originally criticized Carter’s visit because of his past performances.

New Hatchet boss

For lack of a better candidate, The Hatchet staff elected a criminally unqualified Jake Sherman as The Hatchet’s next editor in chief. Despite his impending reign of terror, we still love him.