This month in live music

Before April showers us with an eclectic month of music in the District, there are a few musical loose-ends to tie up for March.

Tonight, Iota Club & Caf? is hosting the CD-release party for Local folk singer/songwriter Vandaveer. His latest album “Grace & Speed,” released on Gypsy Eyes, was released March 20.

Christina Aguilera’s retro-inspired pop spectacle reaches the Verizon Center April 2. Last summer’s “Back to Basics” brought credible, creative pop music back to the mainstream. Joining Mrs. Aguilera are two of the biggest names in reality television pop stardom, Danity Kane and the Pussy Cat Dolls.

Legendary reggae/ska band Toots and the Maytals perform hits from their nearly forty-year long repertoire at the State Theatre in Falls Church on April 3. The band, originally formed in 1966, has released more than a dozen records including last year’s “Radiodread,” a reggae cover of Radiohead’s album “OK Computer.” The band plans to release another original album later this year.

On April 8, new pop sensation Lily Allen will play her second sold-out show at 9:30 in as many months making her one of the greatest successes, thus far, of 2007. The British songstress was named the #1 reason to love 2007 by Blender magazine and has proved them right.

The Seattle-based Blood Brothers rejuvenated the post-hardcore genre last year with their album “Young Machetes,” produced by D.C. hardcore musician Guy Pinciotti of Fugazi. The band brings hardcore back to the District on April 4.

Once again, Brooklyn bands invade the District this month. Last summer, Au Revoir Simone and Dirty on Purpose were featured in MTVs “You Hear it First” segment. The two bands have a shared history – they’ve both developed their sounds in the artist community of Williamsburg, Brooklyn and have toured many times together. Both bands come to the District as supporting artists. Dirty on Purpose support The Lucky Bastards on April 7 at Rock and Roll Hotel, and Au Revoir Simone support Peter, Bjorn and John at 9:30 Club on April 30. Also, TV on the Radio, the most talked about Brooklyn band in indie rock over the past year, play 9:30 Club on April 19.

Local bands Virginia Coalition and The Dismemberment Plan will give Brooklyn a run for their money. VACO bring their rock, folk, country, and go-go inspired jam-band music to the 9:30 Club on April 6. Also, The Dismemberment Plan will come out of a three-year retirement for two benefit shows at the Black Cat on April 27 and 28.

While it may be a bit of a trek to get to Merriweather Post Pavilion, the schedule at the I.M.P. organized venue (the same promoters for 9:30 Club) makes the journey worth your while. On April 27, Merriweather’s summer concert schedule kicks off with My Chemical Romance and Muse at Merriweather. Both bands are coming off of the release of their best-selling and most critically acclaimed albums to date. The unique combination of the perfected pop-punk of MCR and the fantasy-based Brit-rock of Muse should put this show at the top of your must-see list this April.

Concert Calendar

March 29 – Vandaveer, IOTA Club $10

April 2 – Christina Aguilera, Verizon Center $58-88

April 3 – Toots and the Maytals, State Theatre $26

April 4 – The Blood Brothers, Black Cat $13

April 6 – Virginia Coalition, 9:30 Club $17.50 (early show)

April 6 – Grandmaster Flash, 9:30 Club $20 (late show)

April 7 – The Lucky Bastards & Dirty on Purpose, DC9 $10

April 8 – Lily Allen, 9:30 Club $old Out

April 9 – Mat Kearney & Rocco DeLuca and the Burden, 9:30 Club $20

April 13 – Plain White T’s, 9:30 Club $16

April 15 – Man Man, Rock & Roll Hotel $10

April 19 – TV on the Radio, 9:30 Club $20

April 27-28 – The Dismemberment Plan, Black Cat $old Out

April 27 – My Chemical Romance & Muse, Merriweather Post Pavillion $30.25

April 28 – John Legend & Corinne Bailey Rae, Merriweather Post Pavilion $40-75

April 30 – Peter, Bjorn and John & Au Revoir Simone, 9:30 Club $20