Officials say A-10 expansion reports are false

Rumors about a Connecticut university becoming the 15th member of the Atlantic 10 conference are completely false, a conference official said Wednesday.

The Hartford Courant reported that Quinnipiac University, a private school in Hamden, Conn., is pushing to join the A-10 after its basketball team finished11-7 in the Northeastern Conference this year. Ray Cella, an associate commissioner in the conference, denied the rumor.

“There is absolutely no truth to that rumor,” Cella said in an e-mail Wednesday. “You can quote me.”

Cella said the A-10 has no plans to further expand the conference after accepting St. Louis and Charlotte two years ago.

Jack Kvancz, GW’s director of athletics, said Quinnipiac was never in the discussions when the conference was in “expansion mode” three years ago. Boston University applied to become a member of the conference but was not accepted. While Kvancz only has one vote as a member of the conference’s board, he said he does not support expanding the A-10.

“I would tell you that the bigger the conference, the harder it is to manage,” Kvancz said.

Quinnipiac has made strides in becoming a more serious athletic program in the past year. It recently fired head coach Joe DeSantis after 18 years and plans to hire Tom Moore, the associate head coach at the University of Connecticut, according to The Courant. Quinnipiac recently built a new $52 million athletic facility that seats more than 3,000.

The sports information department at Quinnipiac and the office of Director of Athletics Jack McDonald did not return calls seeking comment.