A Blaze of “Glory”

Batman and Robin. Lennon and McCartney. Jack Bauer and Tony Almeida. Venus and Serena Williams. All of these duos brought out the best – and worst – in each other. With the release of “Blades of Glory,” a standout film in the ubiquitous genre of homoerotic ice skating buddy comedies, Will Ferrell and Jon Heder join this list.

Chazz Michael Michaels (Ferrell) is a tattooed, leather-clad ice skater who “puts the ‘bone’ in ‘zamboni.'” The archrival of this lone wolf is Jimmy MacElroy (Heder, best known for his breakthrough performance as Napoleon Dynamite), with his feathery blonde hair, sparkly peacock performance costumes and need for precision. After a fiery display when tying for the gold, they are stripped of their medals and banned from men’s competitive skating for life. A loophole allows them to enter in the pairs division, and with the help of Jimmy’s trainer (Craig T. Nelson), they’re back in the game. This threatens the dynamic brother-sister team of Stranz and Fairchild Van Waldenberg (played with just the right tinge of creepy-but-comical incest by the dynamic husband-wife team of Will Arnett and Amy Poehler).

The Hatchet got a chance to speak with Heder before the film’s release during a conversation peppered with subconsciously Napoleonic references to “his skills” and the occasional “gosh.” Here are a few things he had to say:

Favorite name for a made-up skating maneuver: “Love Dust.”

On his and Ferrell’s skills: “I could skate circles around him, but he could do comedy circles around me.”

On Ferrell’s body odor: “Obviously, there’s going to be some man musk.”

On his main contribution to the character: “The peacock costume I’m very proud of, that was my doing.”

On how he’s changed since college: “I guess I can eat at nicer places instead of Taco Bell every day.”

Best Led Zep album: “It’s a tie between the first five.”

On the false rumors of his death last year: “I remember thinking, ‘Cool!’ Sometimes you wonder if rumors are true, but for this one, I was pretty sure it wasn’t.”

There are many ingredients in a Will Ferrell movie to ensure that it tickles your funny bone: one-liners that will be repeated until you are beyond sick of them (“mind bottling”?), random pop culture references (Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch) and cameos (numerous ice skating legends and a fellow Frat Packer as a Sex Addicts Anonymous group leader).

“Blades” also stands tall with the help of its supporting cast: Jenna Fischer (“The Office”) is quality with her subtle yet telling facial expressions, Romany Malco (“The 40-Year-Old Virgin,” “Weeds”) is perfect as Chazz and Jimmy’s choreographer, and the underrated Nick Swardson (“Reno: 911!”) excels as Jimmy’s stalker.

There were more than a few snorts in the theater, and “Blades” is not to be missed.