Jake Sherman: Bigger isn’t better in Texas

DALLAS

It held true – everything is bigger in Texas.

On Sunday night, it was the number of turnovers for GW, the difference in rebounds between the Colonials and the University of North Carolina and the unmistakable gap in know-how. It was bigger than ever during a 70-56 loss to UNC in the Round of 16 at Reunion Arena in front of an announced crowd of 3,875 here in Texas.

It was only about nine minutes into the game Sunday night before it was clear that this North Carolina team was going to take GW and advance to its third Elite Eight in as many years. The Heels were just too quick, too talented and too determined to relent. But before the two teams even stepped on the court, a graphic on the Tar Heels’ media guide told it all.

Right below the gigantic “Carolina” that headlines the Heels’ postseason media guide, there was a logo advertising the 2007 Final Four in Cleveland. That’s where the Heels expect to end up – and very well may. Anything else would be a disappointment.

Therein lies the difference between these two teams and that’s what was so evident here Sunday night: UNC is bigger. Not in size, but in stature. Unlike men’s college basketball, where the George Mason’s and Butler’s have a fighting chance, on the women’s side David has an impossible task in slaying Goliath.

Joe McKeown, GW’s coach of 18 years, put some of the blame on the NCAA tournament selection committee. He said he believes his squad should have been a two or three seed rather than the five seed they were awarded. When he attends the Final Four as a fan in Cleveland, he said he’ll “speak his piece” about how his team, with a top-20 ranking percentage index, and the Atlantic 10 are constantly disrespected.

“It’s brutal,” said McKeown, as he leaned against a wall, tie loosened, after the loss. “People don’t realize how much it effects the program.”

There may be some truth to his theory, as his hard-working players don’t deserve to shoulder much of the blame. This group, led by gritty and intelligent play by juniors Sarah-Jo Lawrence and Kim Beck, will likely go down in as one of the best squads in this storied program’s history, but at the same time, that’s a telling statement for the status of women’s basketball. The Colonials will end this season 28-4, with two wins in the NCAA tournament and it will be a banner season for the program. If UNC, Connecticut or Tennessee had this kind of a season, it would be an all-together failure. GW, atop the second tier of women’s college basketball, has shown that getting to that Final Four is elusive, especially with the constant feeling of being slighted by the NCAA brass.

For the Tar Heels, GW will likely be nothing more but a bump in the road on a national championship run. They probably won’t remember the Colonials for anything more than a Sunday night exhibition in some antiquated stadium in the Lone Star state, but for the Colonials, this will be a boost.

Assign blame if you’d like. Scream at the referees, like several fans did all game, and suggest they donate their paychecks to the homeless, but that’s just foolish. Carolina was just too darn good for this very talented GW team.

At the beginning of this season, McKeown said he is sick of trying to slay Goliath He wants to be Goliath. Tonight, he had the chance to do the former and get well on the road to accomplishing the latter, but if nothing else, tonight was an illustration of a lack of parity and the glass ceiling above this squad. McKeown should speak his piece and try to get some respect.

For now, GW bids adieu to one of its class acts in senior Kenan Cole, but there is likely to be little drop off in next year’s squad. So sometime next fall, the season will start like every other. McKeown will introduce his group of women to fans and media at Smith Center but that burning question will always remain: What can a little team from the A-10 actually do on the grand scale of the NCAA?

McKeown has shown what he can do. Two Sweet 16’s, an Elite Eight and a respected program. He has shown what has been largely impossible for a mid-major and has gotten pretty close.

Everything is bigger in Texas, but in little Foggy Bottom, what the Colonials have accomplished is impressive.