Vice President Dick Cheney visits GW hospital for 2nd time in a month

The vice president returned to the GW Medical Center late Tuesday morning for the second time this month after experiencing discomfort in his lower left leg.

Dick Cheney went to his cardiologist at the Medical Faculty Associates for further treatment of a blood clot in his leg. The vice president visited the outpatient facility at 22nd and I streets March 5 because of “a deep venous thrombosis,” which may have been brought on by extended air travel during a trip back from Pakistan and Afghanistan.

After ultrasound imaging and other tests, doctors placed the 66-year-old on blood-thinning medication earlier this month. Jamie Hennigan, a spokesperson for the vice president, said more ultrasounds were conducted Tuesday to provide new information on the clot.

“The ultrasound revealed no extension or complication of the clot. His blood-thinning medication was found to be therapeutic,” Hennigan wrote in an e-mail statement. “These results are expected and reassuring, and the current course of treatment will continue.”

The spokesperson added that Cheney resumed his normal schedule at the White House after leaving Foggy Bottom.

The vice president’s motorcade left campus at 11:43 a.m., after blocking off 22nd Street between I Street and Pennsylvania Avenue.

Cheney, who has had four heart attacks since his late-30s and has a pacemaker, is a regular visitor at GW Hospital and the MFA for his cardiological ailments. The vice president went to the hospital in January 2006, when he suffered shortness of breath believed to be associated with medicine he took for a foot problem.

In 2006, Cheney and his wife Lynne donated $2.7 million to the School of Medicine and Health Sciences for the creation of a cardiovascular institute in their names.