$5 – $10 – $20: An entertainment guide for the cash-strapped college student

If you have $5

Buy an obnoxious shamrock hat, and get to Constitution Avenue between 7th and 17th streets in the Northwest quadrant this Sunday at noon for the District’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade. Yes, we know St. Patrick’s Day isn’t until the 17th. Whatever. Do you really need an excuse to pull out that totally awesome (no, really) fake Irish accent, watch “The Commitments” and put on the most horrifying shades of green you can find? We think not.

If you have $10

Go to Iota Club and Caf? in Arlington, Va., at 9 p.m. tonight for an evening of singer-songwriters. Just a short Metro ride away will be Jim Bianco, Jenny Owen Youngs and Tobias Froberg. The gig actually costs $12 and not $10, but the moment you hear Youngs sing the heartbreaking “Voice on Tape” in her absolutely otherworldly voice, you’ll know it was more than worth it.

If you have $20

Go to Jammin’ Java in Vienna, Va., at 7 p.m. on Sunday to enjoy the absurdly delightful singer-songwriter Jonathan Coulton. We’d tell you more, but really all you need to know is that he wrote these lyrics: “Hey Tom, it’s Bob from the office down the hall/Good to see you buddy, how’ve you been?/Things have been okay for me except that I’m a zombie now I really wish you’d let us in.” Come on, it’s about zombies.