WEB EXTRA: Elliot school to add new classes

The Elliott School of International Affairs is adding 10 multidisciplinary classes with about 400 available seats to its undergraduate fall course lineup.

The classes will be modeled after the school’s graduate programs, but will be targeted toward sophomores and juniors, said David Alan Grier, the Elliott School’s associate dean of academic programs.

“An education is not just classes,” he said. “It’s helping you all get a workable intellectual framework to look at the world.”

Grier said the classes will involve a synthesis of several areas of study, including politics, economics and sociology. He said the new classes are being added to bring more of a focus on the idea of looking at many factors as a way to deal with international problems to the school’s curriculum.

The courses names are not yet finalized, but Grier said there will be classes relating to topics like political Islam, the culture and politics of the Eastern Mediterranean, European Union studies and U.S. and China relations. Michael Brown, the dean of the Elliott School, will be teaching a course on international security.

Grier said these new courses will be especially beneficial to the many students engaged in internships in D.C.

“I think this is one of those issues of leveraging Washington,” he said. “We believe it will help them understand the institutions of today and tomorrow.”