Public Health School recieves largest gift in school history

The RCHN Community Health Foundation announced last week a $2 million gift to the GW Medical Center’s Geiger Gibson Program in Community Health Policy. This is the largest gift to date to the School of Public Health and Health Services, according to a University press release.

“We are deeply grateful for this gift, which will expand the breadth and strength of scholarship related to health centers and the populations and communities they serve,” said Ruth Katz, SPHHS Dean and Walter G. Ross Professor of Health Policy, in a press statement.

The gift will benefit the Medical Center’s Geiger Gibson Program in Community Health Policy, founded in 2003, which studies health centers and the communities they serve. Community health centers are local and non-profit clinics that provide care to low income and medically underserved communities, the press release explained.

“Health centers are thrilled by the Foundation’s generosity and the Geiger Gibson program, which together recognize the achievements of health centers in such an enduring way,” said Thomas Van Coverden, president of the National Association of Community Health Centers, in a statement.

The not-for-profit RCHN Community Health Foundation was established in October 2005 and works to aid community health centers through research, advocacy and education.

“I can imagine no more fitting way to further the work of health centers on behalf of communities everywhere than through this investment,” added H. Jack Geiger in the statement. Geiger is the Arthur C. Logan professor emeritus at the City University of New York Medical School.