WEB EXTRA: Metal band Chimaira to perform at 9:30 on Friday

This Friday and Saturday nights, the No Fear Tour will be reeking havoc on D.C.’s 9:30 Club. The lineup features metal bands He Is Legend, Chimaira, Dragonforce and headliners, Killswitch Engage.

Chimaira just completed a new album tilted “Resurrection,” which will be released on March 6 and promises to be as intense and harrowing as metal can get. In an interview with The Hatchet, Chimaira guitarist, Rob Arnold, described the album as “unique, heavy, brutal, skillful, emotional and even weird at times.”

Arnold’s musical influences, including Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Cannibal Corpse and Pantera, blend into the Chimaira’s distinctive sound. After listening to the album’s opener, “Resurrection” the hair on the back of your neck stands as Mark Hunter’s ferocious screams bleed into Arnold’s razor-sharp guitar rifts. Upon reaching the song “Worthless,” only the third song, already an overwhelming feeling of intense power tears through your senses, leaving behind a numbing unconsciousness.

Arnold was excited about the up coming No Fear Tour and its musical diversity. The show will open up with He Is Legend’s softer, slower paced beats that resemble hard rock more than metal. Then Chimaira will take the stage, playing a “full throttle set.” It’s only 30 minutes, “so expect it to very intense,” warned Arnold. “We are not headlining, which is good so we can go all out for and not hold anything back.”

Following Chimaira will be Europe’s Dragonforce, “who always attract a great crowd” with their ridiculously fast guitars and fantasy vocals. Killswitch Engage are headlining the tour, supporting their recent release “As Daylight Dies,” which according to many metal reviews is one of the greatest albums of 2006.

Asked if there was anything that he would like the crowd to take away from the Chimaira set, Arnold said “Yeah, an unrivaled sense to buy all our records and tee-shirts.just kidding.” He did say that the he hopes all the fans that go out to see the band are “blown away by our professionalism and dedication to the music. We want to just entertain everyone and put on a badass performance.”

Because of its wide range of musical styles, which some metal fans may have difficulty accepting, the No Fear Tour is poised to be one of the more interesting tours of the year. While hard rock, fantasy metal and new KSE will be represented, Chimaira will bring the pure heavy metal, so all you metal fans need to get off your asses and put your horns in the air for this one.