Thumbs Up Thumbs Down

Lady Colonials

After numerous seasons of playing in the shadow of the men, GW’s women’s basketball team has established itself as a serious contender in the NCAA tournament. If only more students would take notice and help to boost attendance at women’s games.

Housing auction

The annual continuation of Martha’s Marathon, during which students can bid on the top housing picks, supports the perception that students with the most money get ahead at GW. The event is philanthropic, but planners should consider raising money by offering a different incentive that does not erode what is supposed to be an equitable process.

Disability support

Disability Support Services announced that they have been assisting more students in need over the past two years. This office is helping a greater number of individuals achieve a quality educational experience, and will help establish GW as a friendly school for disabled students.

Immobilized ambulance

Red tape is the only thing standing in the way of EMeRG using an ambulance that was purchased by the University Police Department last summer. In this case, GW’s protracted bureaucratic process is hindering potential benefits for student health and well-being on campus.

Increased programming

GW TV has rebounded from an unproductive fall semester with fresh leadership, multiple regular shows and broadcasted special events. While the network’s offering is still sparse, it represents an improvement for an important University media outlet.

Police inaction

Greek-letter groups whose personal items were stolen from Townhouse Row over winter break have complained about few leads and little progress in the UPD investigation. Slow progress only reinforces questions about the security in University housing while students are away.

Dean search progress

After eight months without a permanent leader, the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences has selected five candidates to assume the position of dean. Members on the search committee should continue moving quickly with the decision, selecting the most-qualified individual to guide the liberal arts college through the presidential transition.

False alerts

Multiple false fire alarms in Mitchell Hall this month pose a danger to students, who may be more likely to ignore a real fire alarm. This problem has been common in older dorms in the past, and GW should do everything in its power to ensure a properly functioning fire warning system in all on-campus housing.