SA candidates accumulate election violations

The Joint Elections Committee doled out multiple penalties Tuesday night to Student Association presidential candidates Marc Abanto and Nicole Capp and executive vice presidential candidates Nick D’Addario and Brand Kroeger.

The JEC gives penalties to the candidates found violating the group’s charter rules. If a candidate obtains six violations, that candidate is removed from the ballot.

Abanto and D’Addario both received a penalty for a campaign poster created by GW NORML, a student drug reform advocacy group that endorsed the two candidates, who are running together for the runoff election. The JEC had not approved the poster.

In total, Abanto has three penalties and D’Addario has two penalties following this most recent violation.

Kroeger has three penalties from the JEC. He obtained two penalties for escorting students into the Marvin Center and Law School, which are outside of campaign boundaries.

Capp now has two violations after the JEC assessed two penalties on Tuesday night. She received one of her penalties for sending an unsolicited e-mail, which mentioned that she was running for SA president among other information, to members of the GW student body. She received another for not discarding Student Bar Association palm cards, which promoted her candidacy, within the Law School polling area.

Today is the last day of voting for the presidential and EVP runoff elections. The polls close at 9 p.m.