Man arrested for disrupting Ross Hall meeting

A man was arrested early Tuesday afternoon after he allegedly forced himself into a first-floor room in Ross Hall where a meeting of faculty and students was taking place, Metropolitan Police Department and University officials said.

MPD responded to 2300 I St. at about 1 p.m., for someone who was “mentally disturbed,” said Officer Quintin Peterson of MPD’s Public Information Office.

“I believe they took that person to D.C. General Hospital where they have a mental observation ward so they can be monitored,” Peterson said. Both MPD and the Medical Center’s communication office reported that no injuries occurred during the incident.

“We had an individual who came to Ross Hall and said he was going to go to a room, and provided proper photo ID, and he was subsequently admitted to the building,” said Linda Dent, director of the Medical Center’s Communication and Marketing office.

“He forced himself into one of the rooms, disrupted the meeting of faculty and students,” Dent said. “The police were called and within a particularly short time, faculty and students did leave the room and the individual was arrested by MPD.”

The building was not evacuated, but the meeting stopped after the incident because members of the meeting were speaking with University Police Department and MPD officials.

In response to the disturbance and breach of security in the building, Provost and Vice President of Health Affairs John Williams sent an e-mail to the Medical Center community alerting them of the situation and changes to security process in Ross Hall.

Dent said the building will have a new entry policy that requires people to show a photo ID and wait at the security desk until their hosts greet them.

She said the new policies are similar to those in federal government office buildings and will be in place until further notice. She said the Medical Center continually evaluates the effectiveness of such policies.

-David Ceasar contributed to this report.