Alpha Delta Pi celebrates 10th anniversary on campus

The Alpha Delta Pi sorority is gearing up to celebrate its 85th year on campus and the 10-year anniversary of the sorority’s recolonization.

The sorority’s Anniversary Celebration will take place March 3 at the Hotel Washington. The celebration will include a reception for approximately 40 alumnae from the sorority’s GW chapter as well as current Alpha Delta Pi members, according to a press release.

The sorority will also host an open house for alumnae Sunday morning, sponsored by the chapter’s House Corporation, at their townhouse located on Townhouse Row.

International officers of the sorority will also be involved in the weekend’s events, said junior Jacq Hackett, president of Alpha Delta Pi.

The sorority’s original chapter of 15 women was founded on campus on Feb. 24, 1922. Previously, Alpha Delta Pi was known as a local D.C. sorority, Theta Lambda Sigma. In the 1960s, the sorority and other Greek-letter chapters on campus closed “due to political unrest,” according to the chapter’s Web site. Alpha Delta Pi returned to campus in 1996 with a new pledge class of 56 women. The chapter was officially reinstated in 1997.

“The anniversary will be a great way to bring together Alpha Delta Pi alumnae and collegiate members, to celebrate our accomplishments and history of strong sisterhood,” Hackett said in a press release.

On March 25 Alpha Delta Pi will host its annual spring philanthropy event, the Lion Share Challenge, a day of games and activities for all Greek-letter chapters. Throughout the following week, “Sisterhood Week,” the chapter will “celebrate our chapter accomplishments and strength of our sisterhood,” Hackett said.

Other events taking place that week include a movie night, a community outreach free lemonade stand and Alpha Delta Pi’s annual Scholarship Tea.