Student alleges assault in Academic Center

A large unidentified man reportedly assaulted a female sophomore in an Academic Center classroom Tuesday morning.

The student told the Metropolitan Police Department that she was alone in room 510 when a 28- to 35-year-old black man approached her. She was reading before class started when the man, who she said was between 250 to 300 pounds and about six-and-a-half feet tall, entered the room at about 9:10 a.m.

“I didn’t pay attention because I thought he was just someone who worked in the building,” the student said. The alleged victim asked that her name be withheld due to safety reasons. The Hatchet typically grants requests of anonymity for those reporting to have been assaulted.

The police report stated that when the man walked in he said, “Are you studying in here?” and the student replied, “Yes.” Then the man locked the classroom door and said, “Don’t make a sound, shut up and be quiet,” according to the report.

On the same day as the incident, the University Police Department posted a crime alert around campus describing the crime. The man was last observed going down the stairwell from the fifth floor of the Academic Center wearing a grey sweatshirt and blue jeans, the police report stated.

When the man entered the room the student said the man grabbed her arm and used his other hand to pull at her clothes. The student said she began screaming.

“He freaked out when I started screaming so he used one hand to cover my mouth and (his) other hand to grab my neck really, really hard,” the student said. “Then I pushed him away (and) he repeated the same thing again and again, trying to grab my neck, trying to push me against the wall.”

“He definitely had intentions to kill me,” the student said.

She added that once she pushed the man away and was able to run out of the room, a faculty member heard her screams and came from his office to help.

UPD Chief Dolores Stafford did not give any details on an investigation into the incident.