Zeta Phi Beta hosts discussion on safe sex

The Zeta Phi Beta sorority hosted Love’s Hangover, their annual post-Valentine’s Day celebration, last Friday.

The event was held at the Alumni House located at F and 20th streets and featured desserts and “mocktinis,” or non-alcoholic drinks. Additionally, this National Pan-Hellenic Council sorority conducted a safe sex discussion entitled, “How crowded is my bed?”

About 15 people attended the post-Valentine’s Day event and senior Cherelle Kantey, president of Zeta Phi Beta, said about two thirds of the audience were members of the Greek-letter community.

“Everyone had a good time,” Kantey said. “(The students) had more to say than we thought they would.”

The event started three years ago when leaders of the sorority decided they wanted to provide a post-Valentine’s Day event for students who may not have been as enthusiastic about the romantic holiday, Kantey said. In previous years the event featured romantic comedy movies, but this year the sorority decided to make the evening more educational.

This year Love’s Hangover was part of the sorority’s national community outreach program, Zetas Helping Other People Excel. ZHOPE is a program aimed at helping people in “mind, body and spirit,” according to the chapter’s Web site.

The sex discussion was focused on the human papillomavirus, since it is a “current issue affecting a younger population,” Kantey said. Students selected cards from a hat that contained a fact or myth about HPV; then the group discussed whether or not they thought the card’s information was true.

Students also discussed sexually transmitted infections and participated in a simulated scenario that illustrated the idea that one is figuratively sleeping with more than one person if partners have had other previous sexual partners, Kantey said.

In March, Zeta Phi Beta will host various events as part of their Finer Womanhood month. The sorority’s next event, Love Should Not Hurt, a self-defense seminar, will take place on March 7.