WEB UPDATE: GW tops La Salle behind 21 from Rice

PHILADELPHIA, Feb. 24 – The only positive that Karl Hobbs said he would take out of this game against La Salle is the victory. Everything else about the game, he said, left him wondering if the GW men’s basketball team would be prepared for tournament play.

“I’m a little disappointed we didn’t execute down the stretch,” Hobbs said.

GW found a way to stave off the pesky Explorers 86-74 at Tom Gola Arena. It was the Colonials’ (17-8, 8-5 Atlantic 10) third-straight win and third conference road victory. Despite Hobbs’ disappointment, the win keeps GW in the mix for a first round bye in the conference tournament, March 7-10 in Atlantic City, N.J.

Senior Carl Elliott was four assists short of his second triple-double. The New York native had 16 points, 11 rebounds and six assists.

Junior Maureece Rice, in his second visit this season to a town where he is a high school legend, had a cool 21 points on 7-for-14 shooting. Sophomore Rob Diggs came off the bench again and had 13 points and six rebounds.

Hobbs said he thought Rice always plays well in his hometown, where he holds the high school scoring record, one spot above Wilt Chamberlin.

“I thought he really selected his shots as opposed to just taking shots,” Hobbs said of Rice.

Diggs, who also had three blocks, had an incredibly emphatic reverse-dunk putback in the first half before a quick skirmish with La Salle’s Mike St. John.

Senior Dokun Akingbae had 11 points and 12 rebounds and freshman Damian Hollis had 11 points. Hobbs said he thought Hollis “played like a freshman.”

GW turned the ball over 13 times and forced 11 turnovers by La Salle.

The Colonials travel to North Carolina Thursday to play Charlotte at the loud and cavernous Halton Arena. The game will be televised on ESPN 2 at 7 p.m.