Letters to the Editor

V-day does stand for more than just vaginas

In her column, Meredith Jessup argued that V-day celebrations involving “The Vagina Monologues” and a giant papier-m?ch? vagina denigrates women’s accomplishments (“V-day should stand for more than just vaginas,” Feb. 12, p. 4). V-day is a global movement that aims to end violence against females everywhere. Thus V-day is not about “just vaginas.”

V-day is about violence against vaginas. It aims to generate awareness about sexual violence, including rape, battery, incest, female genital mutilation and sexual slavery. “The Vagina Monologues,” a fact-based series of spoken monologues taken from interviews, is an integral part of raising this awareness. Some of the monologues make people uncomfortable – some of them make me uncomfortable.

“The Vagina Monologues” do not “debase and degrade” women nor “reduces females down to their reproductive organs.” Rather, these monologues serve to fight against negative body image and encourage self-esteem through women embracing their whole bodies and spirited selves, not just their vaginas. How this doesn’t “celebrate the strength and integrity” and foster “respect and honor” for women is unclear to me.

As for Joan, the papier-m?ch? vagina? It’s publicity for the play with a dash of humor. Apparently, it’s working.

-Brianne Bruce, Sophomore

Allow computers all over Gelman

The ban on laptops in certain significant parts of the Gelman Library has got to go. It is arbitrary and doesn’t make sense, unless you also want to ban cell phones (vibrating phones set on silent still makes noise), sneezing, flipping text book pages, opening bags and shoes that are not rubber soled in those same areas.

Most importantly, this policy just spoils a small group of students and doesn’t prepare them for the working world. You cannot suggest to co-workers in your office that they are typing too loudly in their cubicle, or that you weren’t able to complete your marketing research because the keyboard was distracting.

A computer is a vital part of almost every profession, and for a student, it’s often a necessity. Banning laptops from some floors, when there is already a shortage of electricity outlets, is a terrible policy. A library is not a University-sponsored and -policed sanctuary or yoga room – it is a place to do work.

-Sean Murphy, Graduate student