Starbucks happy with 24-hour store on campus

On Thursday, Gelman Starbucks was full of students typing away on their laptops and reading textbooks – at 3:05 a.m.

Starbucks began 24-hour operation on Jan. 14, remaining open non-stop from Sunday until Friday at 10 p.m., and closing at 10 p.m. on Saturdays. Though the coffee venue located on the ground floor of Gelman Library is amid a 90-day trial period of these hours, officials say it is likely that these hours will become a permanent schedule.

“We’re pleased with progress so far,” said Robert Howell, a Starbucks district manager. He indicated that the store will most likely permanently adopt its current 24-hour schedule.

Howell said that a variety of aspects made the Gelman Starbucks a candidate for 24-hour operation including the solid relationship that the company has with the University and its students, convenient Metro access for employees and the amount of activity around 23rd and H streets location.

Staying open 24 hours is sensible, Howell said.

“There are a couple hours in the deep part of the night that are probably the slowest (for customers), but there are always things that can be done in the store, operationally,” Howell said, adding that filling additional staff needs has not been a problem.

“We hired some more people, we repositioned some people. The core of the staff is very stable,” Howell said.

Sophomore Hayley Mire, who was at Starbucks at 1 a.m. last Friday, said she has enjoyed the late-night service.

“Last week I was here until 2 a.m. It’s so much better than (studying in) Gelman,” she said.

Sarah Lee, a junior who visited Starbucks at around 3:05 a.m. Thursday was looking for some late-night fuel.

“Obviously I’m up at 3 a.m., it’s great to come down here and grab something hot to drink,” Lee said.