‘Ragin’ Cajun’ Carville returns to SMPA

Democratic political strategist James Carville was back in his old venue Monday night, telling students what he thinks about the new Democratic majority in Congress, the Iraq War and the state of politics today.

Carville, a Louisiana Democrat who served as an adviser to former President Bill Clinton in his 1992 presidential campaign, spoke to a crowd of 250 students in the Jack Morton Auditorium. From 2003 to 2005 Carville co-hosted the CNN debate show “Crossfire” in the same venue.

“It is good to be back here, but I realize what you all remember me for – ‘Old School,'” said Carville, who had a cameo in the movie. “It was the cultural highlight of my life.”

Carville, nick-named the “Ragin’ Cajun,” has also counseled international leaders including British Prime Minister Tony Blair and Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak.

“I love politics,” Carville said. “You can make rain or get rained on. You can observe or participate. It is your choice.”

Carville, who co-authored “Take It Back: Our Party, Our Country, Our Future” in January 2006, said that Democrats made great strides during the past year.

“If you were listening to the pundits last year, they said that we (wouldn’t) do anything,” Carville said. “We got the most talented field assembled by anyone. Don’t worry about it.”

Carville said that Democratic leaders, like U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), are off to a good start, but will need time to fit into their new roles in the majority.

“It’s like a guy who jumps out of a 40-story building and says at the 30th floor that it is good so far,” Carville said. “I think Speaker Pelosi is a savvier politician than anyone envisioned.”

Carville said that he did not plan to advise any of the Democratic presidential candidates for 2008 and was not endorsing any of the candidates yet.

Carville did, however, discuss who has the best plan for ending the Iraq War.

“Three people have good plans for Iraq – the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost,” Carville said. “My opinion is that Sen. (Hillary) Clinton (D-N.Y.) has the best plan. But there is something wrong with everyone’s plans. That is why it is a quagmire.”

Carville said many of the Republican positions on sex, religion, homosexuality and global warming are “silly ass.”

“These are things that are becoming aware to people,” said Carville. “But you got to be able to communicate and talk about this.”

Carville said that GW students are “fortunate” to attend a university in the nation’s capitol and need to take advantage of the opportunities that exist for them.

“I hope everyone knows how fortunate you are to be here,” Carville said. “I hope that you don’t submit to cynicism. Give your life to some type of civic involvement and public participation.”

College Democrats President Sean Smith, a senior, said it was exciting to have Carville back on campus.

“It was incredible how he connected with students,” said Sean Smith, a senior. “He was casual and said what was on his mind.”