Kappa Kappa Gamma is pilot group for philanthropic organization

The Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority adopted Reading is Fundamental as its national philanthropy last month.

The chapter had previously organized community service events such as the annual Kappa Kickball and other fundraisers, but the sorority did not have a nationally supported philanthropy until recently. The chapter was chosen to be a “pilot chapter” for the new partnership between Kappa Kappa Gamma and RIF, according to a press release.

“Gamma Chi’s role as planner and pilot chapter is monumental in our internal fraternal relations, but also in our presence in the Greek community,” said sophomore Kristen Konopka, president of Kappa Kappa Gamma.

Konopka added that the chapter wanted to make a difference in the lives of children, especially those from low-income families. The last Kappa Kickball game in November 2006 benefited RIF.

Three members from the chapter have been appointed to an “RIF task force,” according to a press release from Konopka. Juniors Matina Golias, Alyssa Cooper and Erin Grody will serve on a panel comprised of Kappa Kappa Gamma alumnae and representatives from the sorority’s national headquarters. The panel of 12 women will plan the future interaction between the sorority and RIF. So far, the panel has decided that each chapter will host an annual event to benefit RIF.

The Gamma Chi chapter will be the first to host Reading Is Fundamental next spring. The Reading Is Fundamental events across the nation will be held at local hospitals, libraries, YMCAs, day care centers and elementary schools. Activities for the event may include fundraising to create small classroom libraries, live readings, and arts and crafts projects.

Established in 1966, Reading is Fundamental is the “oldest and largest children and family nonprofit literacy organization in the United States,” according to the RIF Web site.