New eatery, Carvings opens in Potomac House

Carvings owner Paul Park said his venue is finally “ready to feed” GW’s students.

The restaurant in the University’s newest residence hall, Potomac House, opened Friday after months of delays. In early November, The Hatchet reported that Carvings’ opening, originally scheduled for first semester, was to be delayed until at least January.

Park said the delays can be partly attributed to the District government because of difficulty obtaining the necessary permit and inspection. He said that this probably caused about three months of delays, but construction also played a role.

Carvings, located at 2021 F St., is in a high-traffic spot for freshmen due to its proximity to both Potomac House and Thurston hall.

“We expect a lot of business, from whoever walks about that area. There is a ton of traffic around there,” Park said, adding that business on opening day was not very busy.

“We’re still a little quiet because most of the students are unaware of us still,” Park said.

Park also owns the Gallery Market and Caf? in Ivory Tower, as well as the Gallery News at 1959 E Street and the recently opened Uptowner Caf? at the Law School.

Sophomore Magan Thigpen, a Thurston resident, said that she won’t go out of her way to go to Carvings, and she expects that most of the customers will be freshmen because of its location within Potomac House.

Residents of the newest freshman hall are happy that a dining venue will be so close.

“I’m excited that there’s a place really close since it’s so cold,” freshman and Potomac resident Priya Shah said.

Carvings will offer a meat-carving station and grilled and hot food bar. The food bar prices are based on weight and other items are priced.