This month in live music

February isn’t known for being a great month for live shows, but fortunately a lot of great artists are visiting D.C. this month on rare winter tours. Yeah, we’re all still sad about missing Justin Timberlake last Friday at the Verizon Center, but luckily there are plenty of shows you can see this month that can take some of the pain away.
For one prime JT ticket (valued at $95), you could start off your February with a little dose of emo. Kicking it off, Lifetime with the World Inferno Friendship Society will perform at the Black Cat Friday. After an eight-year hiatus, Lifetime reformed in late 2005. A few months later, Fall Out Boy guitarist Pete Wentz signed the band to his label Decaydance. The band will release a self-titled album, its first in 10 years, just three days before hitting D.C.
On the Sunday, folk artist Alexi Murdoch will perform at the Rock and Roll Hotel. Murdoch first splashed onto the U.S. music scene when his single “Orange Sky” appeared on both the O.C. and the Garden State soundtrack in the same year. Also at the Hotel, local favorites Soft Complex will support stellastarr* on the 13th.
If it’s too late to make reservations at your favorite restaurant on Valentine’s Day, take your loved one on an alternative date. The Rock and Roll Hotel is hosting the Sex Worker’s Art Show. Currently on national tour, the show features sex industry workers performing burlesque to benefit local charity Helping Individual Prostitutes Survive.
Twenty local alternative and punk bands will perform at the 9:30 Club and the Rock and Roll Hotel at Concerts First’s Next Big Thing all-day music event on the 18th. On the 22nd, Chin Up Chin Up and Somebody Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin bring indie, and unusual band names, to the District when they perform at the Black Cat.
To round out the month, rockers Army of Me will begin their special backstage residency (they’ll perform several shows in the next couple months) at the Black Cat. If you have a car, and a few dollars left over, head over to Baltimore on the 28th to see The Clipse. These friends of Pharell released their latest critically acclaimed album in November.
Finally, as if these shows weren’t enough, there are plenty of great sold-out shows coming up. If you can get your hands on a pair of tickets to see any of these bands, you’re one lucky music fan. On the 16th, British indie-pop sensation Lily Allen will perform at the 9:30 Club. Boosted by the success of her break-up single “Smile”, her new album “Still Alright” made nearly every top-10 list of 2006.
Also at 9:30, Emo-punk-rappers Gym Class Heroes will play an early show on the 21st. Also, everyone’s favorite acoustic-rock, banjo-playing, Boston band Guster will perform at the 9:30 Club on the 28th as part of a two-night engagement.

Concert Calendar

Feb. 9 – Lifetime, Black Cat, $15

Feb. 11 – Alexi Murdoch, Rock and Roll Hotel $12

Feb. 13 – stellastarr*, Rock and Roll Hotel $12

Feb. 14 – Sex Worker’s Art Show, Rock and Roll Hotel, $15

Feb. 14 – Mothertongue, Black Cat, $10

Feb. 16 – Crap Dance Party, Black Cat, No Cover.

Feb. 16 – Daphne Loves Derby, Jaxx Nightclub, $16

Feb. 18 – Next Big Thing, 9:30 Club and Rock and Roll Hotel, $15

Feb. 21 – Gym Class Heroes, 9:30 Club, Sold Out

Feb. 22 – Chin Up Chin Up, Black Cat, $8

Feb. 28 – Army of Me, Black Cat, $10

Feb. 28 – The Clipse, Sonar, $16

Feb. 28 – Guster, 9:30 Club, Sold Out