Colonials drop two straight

The last time the GW men’s basketball team lost back-to-back games T.J. Thompson was still a guard at GW, Rob Diggs was in high school and GW head coach Karl Hobbs had never coached in an NCAA tournament game.

It was Jan. 25, 2005, and the GW men’s basketball team lost to Xavier on a last-second shot at Smith Center only three days after losing to Richmond.

On Saturday, the Colonials dropped its second game in three days, this time to St. Louis 63-53. The loss begins a week off for GW (15-6, 6-3 Atlantic 10) before it faces Xavier Saturday at home.

The game is already being billed as sold out and will be televised on ESPN2.

The loss to St. Louis and Rhode Island’s win over Fordham Saturday puts Karl Hobbs and his team in a precarious position going into one of its biggest games of the season against Xavier. A loss to the Musketeers could put GW toward the middle of the league’s standings and hurt its chances for a first-round bye in the conference tournament.

Senior Carl Elliott and sophomore Rob Diggs had 12 points apiece while Elliott dished out five assists. Diggs pulled down a game-high six rebounds. Diggs and Elliott were the Colonials’ only two players in double digits.

Junior Maureece Rice had nine points on 4-for-16 shooting, his lowest point total of the season. Freshman Damian Hollis had seven points and sophomore Cheyenne Moore had six points on 2-for-5 shooting from the floor.