Thumbs Up Thumbs Down

Colonials Basketball
The men are off to a strong A-10 start this season, while the women – who have not lost a game since Dec. 7 – continue to perform at the top of their game as a ranked team. Continued success will help build prestige for the programs and the University.

Townhouse theft
Fraternity and sorority members returned from break to an unpleasant surprise – missing items. GW must fully investigate the issue and ensure stronger security in on-campus housing while students are away.

Green GW
While GW is not nearly up to par with the most environmentally friendly schools, a new campaign is investigating ways for the University to go green. Hopefully these efforts will be followed up with substantive action to promote recycling, reduced energy usage and other conservation measures.

Drug dealers
Apparent blatant violations of drug laws by student dealers only hurt our campus and contribute to criminal activity. Those wishing to distribute illicit substances should think twice about conducting their activities, especially within GW’s borders.

Abandoned inquisition
The FBI recently ended its attempts to seize the papers of late investigative journalist Jack Anderson, whose documents are held by GW. The University was right to hold its ground and stand up for freedom of information.

Starbucks hours
The Starbucks Coffee location in the Gelman Library will now give students a late-night jolt and another place to meet and study at all hours. If only the University would take the initiative in opening more 24-hour spaces for student use.

Dining delays
It’s a constant issue, but Quigley’s, which is slated to become TONIC bistro, is still under construction and nowhere near completion. With Carvings deli on the first floor of Potomac House still closed, the University should provide students with a realistic timeline for when these locations will open.

Speaker announcement
The University has not yet disclosed the Commencement speaker, who was usually revealed by this time in previous years. This page sincerely hopes that Stephen Joel Trachtenberg will not decide to give the address for his last graduation ceremony as president, as students have already heard him speak on a number of occasions. Graduating seniors and their families deserve better.