Groups unite to raise awareness about Darfur

Two Darfur activists spoke on campus this week urging students to get invovled in stopping the genocide occurring in Darfur .

Activist Steven Krieger challenged an audience of about 50 students to take action Monday night to confront the crisis in Sudan.

The talk, which aimed at education about humanitarian aid efforts in the African region plagued by genocide, preceded a Day for Darfur on Tuesday in which students set up signs and loud speakers in Kogan Plaza. Students Taking Action Now: Darfur also hosted John Prendergast from the humanitarian organization International Crisis Group to discuss the genocide Tuesday.

“The youth have an unbelievable amount of untapped potential to influence lawmakers about the genocide since we will be voting for the next 60 years,” Krieger said in an interview after his presentation. “The question is: what are you going to do to stop it?”

Taking place in the Marvin Center’s Grand Ballroom, the event was sponsored by STAND, College Democrats and the College Republicans.

Krieger, who is an activist for Darfur: A Genocide We Can Stop, first learned about the issue in 2003 by reading newspaper articles about the crisis and looking out for new developments. He said he was amazed at how the situation persisted.

“(You should not) leave here tonight and take no action – otherwise I should have stayed at home,” Kriger told the audience. “The entire night was a waste if you do nothing.”

Civilians in Darfur, a region of western Sudan, have been under attack by the armed gunmen called the Janjaweed since July 2003. The Janjaweed have destroyed farming communities in Darfur.

The Sudanese government says they have no affiliation with the Janjaweed, but “it is apparent to the international community that they are involved,” Krieger said.

Krieger cited statistics that more than 400,000 people have been killed, while 4.3 million are dependent on humanitarian aid and 2.5 million have been displaced from their homes.

“They had little, now they have nothing. Refugees are going to need financial support for years – if not decades – to come,” Krieger said.

“People have other priorities, but it’s hard to hear these stories,” added Krieger, referring specifically of how women are ostracized after being raped by the Janjaweed.

“None of us were old enough to be as aware about the genocide in Rwanda,” Krieger said. “But this is something that is happening right now and that we can help stop.”

Krieger said students can help by lobbying or fundraising. A strategy that STAND has been working on is the divestment of up to $150 million in funds from companies that are invested in the country.

Prendergast spoke at the Elliot School of International Affairs Tuesday about both the failures of the U.N. Security Council to stop genocide in Darfur as well as three steps he believes could help resolve the conflict.

Drawing an enthusiastic crowd of about 200, Prendergast is currently a senior adviser for the International Crisis Group, an international non-governmental organization that strives to prevent international conflict through field work and advocacy.

Prendergast proposed a plan involving three elements – “the three Ps, peacemaking, protection and punishment,” Prendergast said. In other words, he suggested drawing up an agreement, maintaining that peace agreement by convincing militia to lay down their guns and harshly sanctioning the Sudanese who instrumented the genocide.

“We need to build leverage and we hold the keys to stop this genocide. I don’t know how to tell you more clearly that that,” Prendergast said, stressing the need for everyone to get involved.