Greek-letter groups begin recruitment

The Interfraternity Council and the Panhellenic Association’s Phi Sigma Sigma and Sigma Delta Tau sororities are sponsoring spring recruitment events for new members.

The IFC began its spring recruitment Sunday with an event at the recently opened WOW Wingery, located on the fifth floor of the Marvin Center. Prospective members were able to discuss Greek-letter life with representatives from the 13 IFC chapters on campus.

Following the opening event, individual chapters began hosting their own events at various locations both on and off campus, including the fraternity houses, the Alumni House, the University Club and local restaurants.

“It is our goal to lay the seeds for the future of Greek life on this campus,” said Kenny Gold, vice president of recruitment for the IFC, in a press release. This may be the most successful spring recruitment in the IFC’s 150-year history, Gold added. This past fall, 199 men joined IFC chapters.

Events occurring later in the spring recruitment process will be invitation-only, and the week will culminate with IFC’s Spring Bid Day, this Saturday. On this day, prospective members will be invited to join a fraternity by receiving an invitation, or bid.

Unlike the IFC, only two Panhellenic chapters chose to recruit more members this spring. The Panhellenic Association conducts formal recruitment in the fall, and allows individual chapters to hold spring recruitments. Sophomore Emily Metz, Panhellenic Association vice president of recruitment, said there has not been a large demand from all sororities to hold a collective formal spring recruitment.

Phi Sigma Sigma will begin their recruitment next Monday Feb. 5th at their townhouse located on G Street. Their next informational event will be Thursday, Feb. 8 in the Hippodrome of the Marvin Center. Following the open houses, both sororities will switch to invite-only events, Metz said.

Sigma Delta Tau has already begun their process with open houses in Thurston Hall’s Piano Lounge. The chapter will release bid cards on Thursday, Feb. 1, continuing with Bid Day on Friday. SDT’s new member period will start on Sunday, Feb. 4.

Only two of GW’s four Greek-letter governing groups hold recruitment events in the spring. The Multicultural Greek Council and the National Pan-Hellenic Council do not hold official recruitment events in the spring.