Colonials continue to cruise

Junior Whitney Allen’s contributions to the No. 11/13 GW (AP, ESPN/USA Today) women’s basketball team cannot usually be seen on paper. Head coach Joe McKeown said that she would defend any opponent. But with 14 points in the Colonials’ 67-55 win at Xavier Sunday afternoon, Allen showed she can be dominant on the other side of the court as well.

“(Allen) had some great looks, she just took advantage,” senior Kenan Cole said in a phone interview after the team’s flight from Cincinnati was canceled due to inclement weather. “Her shot was just falling.”

“We definitely need Whitney, defensively and offensively,” junior Kim Beck said. “She was able to give us big points today.”

Allen was not the only player to show strength on offense. Cole led the Colonials’ (16-2, 5-0 Atlantic 10) scoring attack with 15 points, while Beck had 13 points. Sophomore Jessica Adair had the game’s only double-double with 11 points and 15 rebounds. Jessica and twin sister Jazmine Adair accounted for 24 of GW’s 40 rebounds.

“I think we came out really strong, right from the beginning,” Cole said. “We did a great job defensively. I’m really proud of how well we played.”

After jumping out to a five-point edge at halftime, the Musketeers (14-6, 2- 2 A-10) came out shooting in the second half and pulled within three before the Colonials went on an 11-0 run to close out the Musketeers.

After defeating Rhode Island 61-45 Thursday night, Beck said the Colonials would need to execute well on offense if they hoped to win in Cincinnati. Despite shooting 39 percent from the floor, lower than the team’s shooting percentage against Rhode Island, the Colonials appeared to have more control of its shots.

One player GW did not seem able to control was Xavier freshman Amber Harris, who had 24 points. The rookie averaged 16.2 points per game this season.

“The height difference, when we put a smaller player on her, was definitely an issue” Cole said. “It would have helped if we could have fouled her a bit more.”The Colonials continue their road schedule in Ohio on Jan. 26 in Dayton.