WOW Wingery opens on Marvin Center fifth floor after month of delays

The WOW Caf? and Wingery on the fifth floor of the Marvin Center opened Wednesday after more than four months of delays.

WOW is one of two restaurants on campus originally scheduled to open at the beginning of the fall semester, but faced construction and permit setbacks. Carvings – a sandwich and buffet restaurant similar to the Gallery Cafe in Ivory Tower – is expected to open later this month in Potomac House. The indefinite opening of the food venue is due to contractor-related delays and changes, said Nancy Haaga, director of Campus Support Services.

The original September opening of WOW was delayed because of the decision to expand seating, Haaga had previously said. Construction of WOW was completed in November, but obtaining operating permits and training the staff further delayed its opening.

WOW expanded into an area previously occupied by six pool tables. The tables were moved into the space formerly occupied by the Hippodrome arcade, which featured ping-pong tables, an air-hockey table and video games.

In addition to offering wings and burgers, WOW has applied for a beer and wine liquor license. Haaga said once the license is granted, students of legal drinking age would wear a wristband to prevent those who are underage from drinking. While both WOW and Carvings will allow students to pay with their GWorld, WOW will require students to use another form of payment for alcohol in accordance with GWorld policy.

Casey Pond, director of the Student Association’s Dining Services Commission, said he thought the delays were worth it.

“It’s much more important that a provider of services to students on campus provides something of quality rather than something mediocre meeting a deadline,” Pond, a junior, said. “If they try to open something that isn’t high quality, students won’t be likely to revisit once changes are made.”

Pond, who advises dining officials of student wishes, said he is looking forward to the addition of alcoholic beverages to WOW’s menu.

“It’ll increase the amount of time during the weeknight when older students will opt to stay on campus, which is much safer in the end,” Pond said.

WOW’s official opening Wednesday was preceded Tuesday night by a free buffet of their offerings. About 40 patrons lined up at the counters to try the wingery Wednesday, which offered a 20 percent discount.

WOW features 21 flat screen televisions, which were in operation on opening day. Television events such as the AFC and NFC Championship Games Sunday and the Super Bowl Feb. 4 will be broadcast at the restaurant.

Some students were impressed with the quality and hours offered by the replacement to Big Burger.

“The food is quality stuff. I would recommend it,” freshman Arleen Cruz said. “They’re open until midnight, so that’s a big plus.”

WOW will close at 11 p.m. during the week and at midnight on Saturday and Sunday.

Wings and chicken tenders were the most popular items students ordered off the menu, which also includes hamburgers, wraps, salads and quesadillas.

Sophomore Dave Schatz thought the food was too expensive. He said, “The prices are very GW.”