Pi Beta Phi to officially join campus

After one semester on campus, Pi Beta Phi, GW’s newest sorority, will hold its official initiation and installation next week.

Established in 1889, Pi Beta Phi is actually GW’s oldest sorority, but left campus in 1968. After 38 years, Pi Beta Phi re-colonized its GW chapter in the fall.

“We will have numerous prominent Pi Phi alumnae coming in for the weekend,” said Colleen Briley, residential leadership development consultant for Pi Beta Phi.

Some of the original members of GW’s Pi Beta Phi chapter will be attending the initiation and installation weekend.

“Currently, we are expecting about 100 alumnae to be in attendance with the number rising daily. The alumnae will be helping to assist with the initiation ceremony and to help celebrate the new chapter,” Briley said.

Many Greek-letter groups on campus will begin formal spring recruitment soon, but Pi Beta Phi does not plan to participate.

“The chapter plans on using this semester to continue to get to know one another and to become more involved on campus,” Briley said. The first formal recruitment for Pi Beta Phi will take place next fall.

“Pi Phi is looking to establish itself as a prominent organization on campus (with a) strong connection to the other Greek organizations,” said Stephanie Neves, president-elect of Pi Beta Phi, who, along with other officers was selected before winter break. “We hope to become a familiar face on campus with a reputation of being a respected and well-founded chapter.”

Pi Beta Phi is planning philanthropy events, mixers and chapter retreats, Briley said. The chapter will be officially chartered this summer at Pi Beta Phi’s 2007 convention in Scottsdale, Ariz.