KAO readies for campus

GW men will have a new fraternity to consider joining if they plan on going Greek this semester.

Kappa Alpha Order, originally founded at GW in 1894, is returning to campus to become the University’s 14th recognized male Greek-letter organization. Recruitment for the chapter will begin in February, after the Interfraternity Council’s completion of spring formal recruitment. The chapter will hold information sessions throughout the month of February for interested students.

In October 2005, the Interfraternity Council voted to expand by adding two new organizations. Sigma Chi and Kappa Alpha Order were selected and while Sigma Chi began recruitment last fall, Kappa Alpha Order will begin its process of recruitment in February.

Kappa Alpha Order is arriving at a time when there is an increase in men joining mainstream fraternities at GW. During the fall recruitment period, 17 more students rushed compare to the previous year’s total for that time. Greek-letter leaders said the increase is part of a larger trend of more students participating in Greek life.

“Greek life has an extremely positive influence on campus. This past year we raised an incredible amount of money for various philanthropy projects,” said junior Chris Dibitetto President of the Interfraternity Council. “I think all of our efforts begin to add up, and in turn, more people want to get involved (in Greek Life).”

Kappa Alpha Order leaders are excited about the opportunities to returning to campus, the organization had a chapter at GW until the 1960s.

“Our long-standing history with the school and the District helps strengthen our cause to restore this chapter,” said Jesse Lyons, director of chapter development and national officer for Kappa Alpha Order. “Many student leaders, as well as future leaders in the United States were among the undergraduate ranks of (Kappa Alpha) at GW.”

Lyons said some notable GW Kappa Alpha alumni include J. Edgar Hoover, former Federal Bureau of Investigation director.

The chapter will be raising interest through the social Web site, Facebook and through media advertisements, as well as tabling outside of the Marvin Center.

National Kappa Alpha rules require each chapter have a minimum of 30 members, or a “membership level higher than the average of the other fraternities on campus,” Lyons said. The Alpha Nu chapter, which will be the inaugural GW chapter, does not have a cap on how many men they will induct.

The organization is scheduled to be fully re-chartered at GW in January 2008, and will host a formal banquet and ceremony to install their new members.