“Sex Jeopardy” featured in health awareness event

Two Greek-letter organizations teamed up with the University to sponsor sexual jeopardy and condom relays as part of an event last week to promote sexual health and discuss the role alcohol plays on college campuses.

The Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority, the Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity and Student Health Services’ Health Outreach Peer Educators sponsored the event.

“The event was a great success,” said junior Eric Woodard, President of the Nu Beta chapter of the Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity. “Both chapters felt (the event) was necessary to hold, considering college students are the highest group contracting (sexually transmitted infections)’s.”

Approximately 30 GW and non-GW students attended the event, which included Alpha Kappa Alpha and Alpha Phi Alpha members as well as non-affiliated GW and Georgetown students. Health Outreach Peer Educators is a student-run organization that aims to inform college students about health-related issues.

AKA’s national programming also focuses on health issues, and the chapter has tried to bring special health-related programming to campus. Last year, Alpha Kappa Alpha hosted an event focused on genetics research and this year, the fraternity sponsored a Guys Night In with Student Health Services as part of Love Your Body Week.

The open discussion last Thursday addressed issues concerning “STI’s and their symptoms, the importance of contraception, how to speak with a partner about sex before a situation arises and the importance of monthly exams for breast or testicular cancer,” said Arielle Samuels, vice president of the Mu Delta chapter of the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority.

In addition to presentation and discussion, the event featured sexual jeopardy and condom relays – a simulation relay involving beer goggles and bananas that exemplifies what a sexual encounter might be like if inebriated. Students also participated in role-playing skits that allowed them to practice negotiating topics like sex or contraception with a partner or address what sex means for a relationship.

“The peer educators were a great resource because they spoke to the room honestly and made a comfortable atmosphere for attendees to ask questions openly,” Samuels said. “Everyone who left the program learned a lot of useful information (some of which) may be a refresher, but will definitely stick with them.”