$5 – $10 – $20: An entertainment guide for the cash-strapped college student

If you have $5

We know it’s freaking freezing outside, but bundle up and make the short walk from your dorm to the Marvin Center Betts Theatre this Friday to see Balance, the GW Ballet Group’s third annual production of “The Nutcracker.” Nothing like Tchaikovsky’s classic production to get you in the mood for the holiday season, right? Word of advice: on your way out, avoid looking at Gelman, because the reminder that you still have four exams and two 20-page papers to write might suck all that holiday cheer out of you. There is a $3 suggested donation.

If you have $10

Pull out your retro wears and get to Black Cat for the last Mousetrap of the semester on Saturday. Dance the night away to punk rock (anti)heroes like the Buzzcocks, feel Morrissey’s pain, pretend it’s 1995 and you give a damn about the Oasis vs. Blur debate (or better yet, actually give a damn about the Oasis vs. Blur debate) and listen to the Libertines and wonder what became of the likely lads. Oh, and dance. You’re supposed to do all this while dancing, it being a dance party and all.

If you have $20

Head to U Street to catch Victor Wooten at 9:30 Club. A member of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, Wooten is the closest thing you’re ever likely to see to Hendrix on bass. A true virtuoso, Wooten’s talents (and songs) are expansive. He can do pretty much anything he wants to with his instrument (and with other people’s, too – he’s been known to play the guitar quite adeptly . while his guitarist is still holding it). It’s rock, it’s jazz, it’s experimental, and it’s a demand that you prepare to have your mind blown.