Weekly check up: The holiday blues

We all know the holiday season is supposed to be the most wonderful time of the year, but for some students, it can be the worst.

With the added stresses of final exams, papers and, for some, family problems, the end of the semester can be one of the most mentally difficult times for college students.

“This time of year we see people who really are experiencing more (stress) and it’s because of their schedules and academic pressures,” Clinical Outreach Coordinator for Student Health Services Susan Haney said. “For upper-level students there are more pressures because it’s really time to start thinking about career choices and/or graduate school.”

Although it’s just an urban myth that suicide rates go up during the winter season, Haney said the change in weather can get some people down this time of year.

“People also have seasonal depression, where the days are shorter and we don’t have light as much,” she said.

For some students, the thought of going home for almost a month during winter break is one of the biggest stresses. Family problems can often be exacerbated during holiday gatherings.

“Sometimes, everybody assumes that people will want to be home and things will be great,” Haney said. “For a lot of families there are a lot of stresses that people have the expectation of the holiday being happy times, and there are often some complicated family issues that come more to the frontlines during the holidays.”

Haney said students in need of counseling, or even just someone to talk to about holiday-related anxiety, can turn to their House Proctor, Scholar or Mentor, or a professional therapist at the University Counseling Center.

“I think mental health issues are of concern on all (college) campuses and I think our campus is responding well,” she said. “We’re putting a lot of attention to dealing with these issues and making services available.”

“Weekly check up” is a regular feature in the Life section. If you have a health topic you want to know more about, e-mail [email protected].