The Pulse: Gauging GW’s reactions to today’s issues

As finals week quickly approaches, some students are already thinking about returning home for winter break. But what if that trip home came several days sooner? GW does not allow professors to give tests on the final day of class. Instead, they are expected to adhere to their allotted time during final exam week. The Hatchet asked students whether professors should be allowed to give final exams on the last day of class.

“I think they definitely should if they want to. There are so many problems with coordinating transportation to go home for the holidays. I understand the week-long study period, but to be honest, it’s more useful to take the exam a week earlier.”
-Craig Distel, Freshman, undecided

“If it’s just a specific professor with a specific case, I don’t see a problem. But if my finals were all on the last day of class, that would make almost all of them on the same day, and that would be horrible. I think the class should decide with their professor.”
-Gabriela Rosario, Freshman, English

“No, I think the current policy is a good one. There would be too many professors who would schedule exams on the same day, with almost no time in between. The week-long study period is also a very nice thing for students to have.”
-Jonathan Aiken, Third-year MBA student

“I think it’s a good idea. Students have only so much time to be home currently … But the problem is that some people getting to go home early would be unfair to other students who have to stay, so that’s something that would have to be taken into account.”
-Vanessa Okoro, Sophomore, criminal justice

“If the class is small enough for all the students to agree, then I think that’s a fine solution. But for larger classes it would be more difficult, because if one or two can’t make it, then when are they going to take the exam? I also think the week study period is very helpful.”
-Eduardo Alves, Senior, international affairs