WEB EXTRA: A Capella Across the Land: Sons of Pitch Attempt to Take Foggy Bottom to National Level

Whether serenading girlfriends or singing on the corners of Georgetown just for fun, the all-male GW a cappella group, Sons of Pitch, has been keeping busy this year as they try to get their name out to as many people as possible. With a performance coming up on Friday, December 1, and even more events in the works, SOP is successfully making themselves known as the premier a cappella group on campus.

“We are coming to the forefront of the GW a cappella scene,” said Alex Hecht, Business Manager of the group.

Started in 2003 by four guys, the group has grown tremendously, winning numerous awards at GW such as “Most Popular Student Performance Group” and “Best A Cappella Group.” Although they appear to be few in number (twelve boys total), around twenty-five guys tried out for the group this fall.

“We have bi-annual auditions that are open to everyone, although the actual auditioning process is kept secret,” said Hecht who is one of only four returning members this year. “We only want quality, not quantity. We would have had a barbershop quarter,” if that’s how it would have turned out.

This year however, according to Hecht, the Sons of Pitch took on “eight phenomenal guys” who are “better than we expected” and have helped the group “sound better than ever.”

“We have had alumni come up to tell us this is the best the group has ever sounded,” Hecht said.

Although the Sons of Pitch may be just another student organization, they are hoping to make it something more.

“It really helped that the four returning members were so passionate,” said Erik Bergmann, who is in charge of publicity for the group. “We took it from just a group to one that defines people.”

“We’re trying to make it so that its not so much an a cappella group, but rather, that this is an organization that is bigger than us,” Hecht said.

The group hopes to become synonymous with GW a cappella.

“We are in a way cementing ourselves in the fabric of our school,” Hecht said.

With a total number of six a cappella groups on campus, SOP sets themselves apart by showcasing their character.

“The overall group personality is what sets us apart, and makes people really like us,” said freshman member, Rob Dettore.

“We really don’t take ourselves too seriously,” said Hecht. “We acknowledge the fact that we’re here to sing and have fun.”

In addition to a distinct personality, the Sons do not focus on just one genre of music. Their repertoire encompasses pop, classical and even rap.

“We don’t try to fit into one idiom of music,” said Salvatore Colleluori, a freshman member of the group.

The Sons are trying to get more national recognition through inviting other college a cappella groups to GW and trying to get a track on the Best of College A Cappella (BOCA) CD, which is an incredibly competitive process.

“We’re planting our roots throughout all of the United States,” said Bergmann. “We’re reaching out and making connections with others.”

SOP’s concert is Friday, December 1 in the Red German Church on the corner of 20th and G. Doors open at 7pm, with a cost of $3 for students, and $5 for non-students.